Well, I have finished my annotated bibliography at the expense of relearning MLA. Why the heck are there different formats, why can't all the formats get along and be one big happy format? That would be nice. Turns out these people actually have conferences, I suppose things are changing a lot. That might be the single most boring thing on Earth.
Anyways, onto the actual paper. My technology is automated medication dispensers in pharmacies and I am wondering how you think Ihde would classify this technology, embodiment, hermeneutic, or both? I am thinking both right now but am I somewhat stumped. We, the pharmacy staff can change what the dispenser does. Its like when we talked about the blind man with his cane, the automated dispenser is like a cane to a pharmacy employee, so we experience the world THROUGH the machine. Also, the relation can be hermeneutic in that the pharmacy staff has to learn how to use the technology. They also have to adjust it when different drugs are put in the machine. Therefore the person is having an experience OF the machine in order to use it. Let me know what you think.
Finally, I would like to conclude that for the first time in my life, I got successfully "April Fooled" by my mom yesterday. She said I got a bank statement from my old bank and wondered why I didn't close the account, saying it still had 900 dollars in it. I fell for it, and she will never live it down.
I hope everyone's projects are going well and that the Wiki's are being too stupid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow...I didn't realize we were doing the EXACT same technology for our research project. But, I agree that it is both hermeneutic and embodiment because it's all about perception. I don't know if this will help you at all...but I thought of the "world" as the medication. Like you said, the pharmacist is experiencing the medication through the machine. As for the patient, I looked at it as if the machine were the reader on the nuclear reactor...they don't know exactly what is going on inside, but they still experience the medication, so it's more hermeneutic.
ReplyDeleteThat's funny that you guys are doing the same thing and didnt even know it. But I agree with both of you, it is both hermeneutic and embodiment. The pharmacist definitely experiences a certain aspect of the "medicine world"(medication in general) through that technology. Also hermeneutic because there are levels of interpretation from pharmacist and patient that must take place. Hope this helps...sorry if I wasn't clear.
ReplyDelete