Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lost generation?

Isn't it funny how life works? I walked out of our discussion in English about iPod culture and how our generation seems to be lost, withholding itself from society. Instantly, I was literally seeing every bit of our discussion with my own eyes as I walked up Bascom Hill. Each student looked as though they thought the iPod they had seemingly surgically attached to their ears somehow could save them from the "treacherous" hill they were scaling, make it less grueling. Then, I sat down for my next class and the kid next to me has "We Didn't Start the Fire" blaring so loud I had flashbacks to being at Lambeau Field during an F-18 flyover. Finally, I come home to an email from my mom with the following video. Is our generation lost? Are our morals in trouble? I don't think so. I admit, I am guilty of using the iPod on the bus as a "barrier" of sorts. It is comforting and relaxing, making the bus ride less awkward. While the culture of our generation has changed, humans have not changed, they still desire to be happy and, for the most part, do what is morally right. Aristotle once said, "Different men seek happiness in different ways and by different means, and so make for themselves different modes of life." Of course, he also said "The appropriate age for marriage is around eighteen for girls and thirty-seven for men," so who knows how much we can take from him.

1 comment:

  1. I am both guilty and aware of the iPod blank stare in class or the walk class. Its nice to be able to carry your tunes with you everywhere, but do we really need to? Probably not, but why not! And I'll agree, one of the biggest benefits from iPod culture has to be the bus buffer.

    ReplyDelete