In English class today, we discussed the issue of literacy and communication technologies. In "From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies," Dennis Baron argues that the computer is simply the latest step in a long line of writing technologies. He goes on to say that with each invention of a new technology, there are always people that believe the dependence on them will be the end of human civilization as we know it.
In the olden days, people thought that the invention of writing would be the demise of communication. Then, with the invention of the pencil, people thought the same thing. Same with the telephone and the computer. It is a recurring theme throughout the history of human civilization. Now, people worry that cell phones and texting will be our demise.
I have seen this belief in my own life. My dad refused to get our family cell phones until I got to college because he thought they weren't useful enough for how much you paid for them. Man, that seems outrageous now. I find myself to be guilty of this belief in some regard with texting. I still to this day have never texted anyone in my life. I know, I know, you are asking "How is that possible?" Well, I simply have texting blocked on my cell phone so I cannot send or receive them; my view is that if it isn't important enough for a phone conversation, then it simply isn't important. That, and I don't want to pay for it. In time, I am sure I will accept the thought of texting, much like Dr. Cox from Scrubs. I will most likely say to myself, "How did I not text? That was outrageous."
Who knows what the next invention will be, but don't be scared for society's future yet. Cell phones are not going to be the end of our society. They are not monsters, or are they.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree with you that the majority of texts are unimportant and I think that some people are way too into texting. However, texting does have some advantages; it’s nice to be able to send a text if you’re in a hurry, at place where you can't talk, or if the other person's phone is off. I would be interesting in knowing if you ever “give in” to texting or if it always stays blocked on your phone.
ReplyDeleteI love texts because its all on my own time I don't have to rely to it until I'm free where as in a phone call you have to have a conversation right then and there.
ReplyDeleteI do see how it can be useful at times, just not useful enough for me right now
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean with the lack of cell phones in your family until college. I'm the same way. I still think I'd be able to manage without one, but would probably need to get a land line or something like that to be able to contact friends/family/work...etc.
ReplyDeleteAs for the texting, I can kind of relate there too. I used to have similar thoughts on the uselessness of it. However, slowly and surely I was hooked. The argument that disregards texting because a phone call is much more personable and informational is flawed. While I do agree you can obviously get a lot more out of a phone call than a text, I still appreciate the value added text messaging gives. The things I text about aren't questions or comments I need responses to immediately. Most of the time they are just little thoughts or interests I have. Like: "What time do you have to work tomorrow?" or "Superbowl party at my place, bring friends" I can also mass send an invite like this to everyone I want to come. Just another ease of use, convenience benefit to phone calls. So, Alex, text away.